Friday, May 20, 2011

Adoption Day - 5/20/11

Joshua officially became a member of our family on May 20, 2009. I looked up the word family at dictionary.com and here is what it says: a basic social unit consisting of parents and their children, considered as a group. So, according to this definition, Chris and I weren't a true family until Joshua came along. Sure, we were a couple - but a family is defined by the group - parents and children.

In the courtroom that day, I remember waiting for the judge - surrounded by our extended family - and being so nervous. I don't really know why - I wasn't expecting any hurdles or obstacles. Josh was already in every way my son and nothing the judge said would change it. The moment the judge began talking, I started to cry. There was something so incredibly meaningful in the act of adopting - (choosing or taking as one's own). A family was created that day. A family of love.


I don't remember much of what the judge said. I know Josh will not remember that day. Maybe I'm like Mary, pondering these things in my heart. My heart became a mother before Josh was even born - but being actually a "mom" - really legally recognized as one - healed a place in my heart I didn't really even know was broken. The place that still grieved a bit when friends announced their pregnancies or I held a new baby. The place that knew I was meant to be a mom and couldn't wait.



Being a mom. Having a son. A ball of curiosity, imagination, stubbornness, innocence, childlike faith. And now - contemplating a new one. Another link in our family. Another wait - another step forward - another round of faith and hope. Another child to adopt - God knows the perfect conclusion to the creation of our family - and I trust Him to make it just as wonderful.

No comments: