Saturday, January 7, 2012

Housekeeper wanted...

The following is an article I wrote for our September MOPS newsletter.

My house is a disaster. Maybe yours is too. The kitchen counter is piled with all the stuff that I can’t seem to put away. Dishes are either dirty and waiting to be washed, or in the drying rack waiting to be put away. There are basketfuls of laundry in my bedroom waiting to be put away. The toys are overflowing from the toybox, if they actually made it there at all. I haven’t dusted in months.
There are times when I clean. For instance, when my in-laws are coming over. Then we move in to frantic mode, and I hide as much as possible behind closed doors, and make sure the public areas are presentable. Or when...well, I can’t really think of another time. I clean (the really good kind of cleaning) to make my home presentable for outsiders. When it’s just us, we can live with a little clutter and mess.

Do you ever think that you should clean up because so-and-so is coming over for a playdate? And then think to yourself, “nope, she won’t care what my house looks like.” That’s MOPS...moms whose houses are just as crazy as yours. I’m glad that people don’t clean up when I come over – it’s comforting to know that I’m not the only crazy one.

If you’re one with a clean house – you go girl! I’m sure there are other areas where you feel frazzled and just as overwhelmed. And you will find just as many moms who have been there. The beauty of mom friends, the kind you find at MOPS, is that someone has been in your shoes – and will accept you just as you are. You don’t have to hide all your clutter behind “closed doors”!

So dive in – get to know the other moms in your group. If you find one in your same boat, share the burden a little. If you find someone with wisdom to share, take it. And if you find anyone with a really clean house, send them my way, please!

No comments: